My working catalogue contains the images I am currently working on and the archive contains images that are finished. Once a month I move the images from the previous month to the archive.
There are a few reasons for me working in this way. The first is that I find the process of archiving images stops me constantly looking at shots to see if there is any way I can improve them. If I didn't do that I would still be looking at shots I took in may 2006 thinking "I wonder what that looks like in B&W".
The other main reason, is that it is really easy to put off keywording and classifying images, as part of the archival process I like to make sure that they are all classified correctly. My checklist for archiving is:
- Delete all the images that don't make the grade
- Keyword every image with the location it was taken
- Keyword any shots to identify any dogs & people.
- Apply Star ratings.
- Add Title & Descriptions to the good ones.
- ctrl + A and ctrl + s to write the metadata to the files
- Export the files to a new library
- Import in to the Archive.
- Add pictures to the collections for my various websites